Thursday, April 28, 2016

We Finally Moved into the New House

Finally!
Yes, we did it, we moved into the new house.  The move from the apartment was on Saturday, April 16, and all of the rest of our possessions arrived the following Wednesday. That's my car in the driveway.

Boxes, boxes, everywhere
This is the kitchen island, with just a few of the boxes to unpack. I think that by now we have just over half unpacked, but not all put away. While we were packing last year, we were pretty ruthless about throwing things out we no longer needed or wanted. Actually, we gave away much of it, with a lot going to nieces/nephews or Goodwill. But now, I keep unpacking items thinking, why on earth did I pack this? We have already made one trip to Goodwill, and have given quite a few things to my daughter.  I'm sure there will be more. I almost gave away my slow cooker, but my son pointed out that it still is pretty useful, especially when cooking beans. 

Three cars in the garage
I can't believe it, we actually can put three cars in the garage. But only for the first night, as that is where all of the packing materials are going until we can get rid of everything.

View from the patio door
Then, on our second night, we had a bit of a snow storm. Notice the house on the left, with a three car garage and three cars out in the snow. We are determined not to use the garage to store things other than a few tools and all of the cars.

View from the front door
Luckily, the we had only about three inches, even though the forecast was for 5-8 inches. This late in spring the snow doesn't last for more than a day, and sure enough, it was pretty much all melted by the next day. 

We see you!
Last year, we had golden eagles nesting in the natural area about half a mile from the house. This year, we have great horned owls. There always seems to be someone trying to photograph these little cuties. Mr. California Stitching must have taken about 15 photos before he got this one.

Now, for the really scary photos:

Yikes!
This is the view from the door of my sewing room. Don't be scared by that floor, it's actually vinyl. There was no way I was going to put wood on a concrete slab below grade. You have to get down on your knees and touch it to realize it's not wood. Everyone who sees it is fooled.

Double Yikes!
I have a preliminary sketch of how I'll organize the room, but I think I really need to revisit it. I was envisioning old furniture, all painted to match, holding everything. But when I look at all the boxes and realize just how much fabric I have, that idea is so not going to work.

I know this may seem that my priorities are off to many of you, by my main focus is on upstairs in the living areas. Once that is in decent shape, I'll be able to devote time to figuring out the sewing area. I'm already planning on bleeding out to the big rec room as it is. More to come...



5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It must be at least some relief to be out of the apartment and home at last.

    Your priorities look exactly right to me, lol. I like an uncluttered workspace, so I would store as much as possible out in the main room. :D

    Or, you know, just use the main room for sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It alll seems fair to me. Glad to know the snow didn't last too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very happy for you. It must be a huge relief to finally be "at home". Have fun with the unpacking and settling in. It's always an exciting adventure.

    Have fun following the progress of the owl babies. They are seriously cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to finally move in! I must say, that looks like a really generous space for your sewing. It will take time. I've always found as I've moved over the years that some of the "great" ideas I've had on decorating before moving in didn't actually work when it came to really living in the space. I say keep unpacking, live in your new home a bit, and then make design decisions. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny, you are so right. I will take my time unpacking and figure out what to do as I go along.

      Delete

I love to hear from readers! Please let me know what you think of my posts. If you ask a question, I will reply here on the blog, so others can see the answer.